Our Puppy Policies
updated 8 February 2021
1. Puppies will not be held without a deposit and signed contract for more than 12 hours. I do accept Paypal and credit cards for deposit
2. Deposits will not be accepted until puppies are posted at 6-7 weeks of age.
3. Prospective families must fill out an application. This will help me determine the puppy that is the best match for your family.
4. Due to Covid, we are no longer allowing ANY home visits.
5. If you would like to see a puppy before making a deposit, we can arrange to meet you outside our home once the puppy is at least 22 weeks of age (fully vaccinated).
6. If you decide that you cannot take the puppy that you put a deposit on, the deposit can be transferred to a different puppy in the same litter or another litter for a period of up to a year.
7. Puppies may not leave before around 10-12 weeks of age. Very tiny puppies may need to stay longer. This ensures that you have a healthier, more well-adjusted puppy
8. PRICES ARE FIRM, but I do give a Hero's discount for retired or active military, fire personnel, EMTs, police, and educators on limited AKC prices with proof, and I give a discount if you purchase multiple puppies from me.
9. In rare cases, I do allow puppies to be pre-reserved and therefore a puppy may never become available. Only people who have put down a deposit on a puppy and were unable to take it, or people who have previously purchased a puppy from me, may pre-reserve a puppy. Pre-reservations are taken three days before puppies are made available to the general public.
updated 9 February 2017
1. ALL of our puppies will be vetted prior to going to their new homes. They will come with a veterinary health certificate from our local vet. Buyers are ALWAYS welcome to call our vet to discuss. Likewise, buyers who have put down a deposit for a puppy are ALWAYS welcome to come with us to the vet exam.
2. All of our dogs are eligible for registration with the American Kennel Club, which is the premier registry in the United States. Puppies are sold with LIMITED REGISTRATION unless otherwise discussed. Limited Registration is still AKC registration, it just means that your dog is being sold as a pet rather than a show dog.
3. All puppies will be dewormed several times and vaccinated with their first set of puppy shots prior to leaving
4. All of our puppies come with a 6 month health guarantee.
OUR STATEMENT ON MERLE DOGS
Happy Little Chihuahuas prides ourselves on providing HEALTHY puppies to their new homes. We screen our homes to ensure the best fit, and vet check our puppies before they go to their new homes to ensure you get a healthy puppy. Our adults are vetted annually to ensure that they are also in top condition.
Occasionally we get asked about merle puppies. Merle is our favorite pattern in the chihuahua breed, and we take pride in our merles. To date, we have never had a merle puppy fail his or her vet exam, because we have healthy adult and we practice good merle breeding practices. For this reason, we have not ever and will not EVER breed merle to merle. Although dogs with a single copy of the merle gene are gorgeous, happy dogs, dogs with two copies of the merle gene can have eyesight or hearing issues, and may be deformed at birth or stillborne. Therefore, we ensure our merle puppies only have one copy of the merle gene by breeding a Merle dog to a non-merle dog. We color test to ensure that we never breed a merle to a non-merle.
Additionally, although there are no direct health concerns associated with it, our opinion is that it is poor breeding practice to breed merle to any other color pattern (e.g. brindle). We DO NOT breed merles to other patterned dogs.
We also consider it poor practice to breed merles to dogs with two copies of recessive light genes, and as such we will NOT breed merle to solid white, fawn, red, or cream dogs.
We DO think highly of other breeders who practice similar practices, and we love to see merle puppies that are the result of breeding a merle to a black (or black and tan), blue, or chocolate dog! We think these make lovely, loudly colored puppies that are easily identifiable as merles.
We take our position on merle very seriously, as we feel our responsibility as a breeder is to breed healthy dogs that have the potential for an excellent quality of life. We love our merles and are so happy when we can share them with you!